BJP wins by-election in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday won the Sanjari Balod assembly seat defeating the Congress after 14 rounds of counting.
BJP`s Kumari Bai Sahu defeated her nearest rival Mohan Patel of Congress by nearly 9,500 votes. A total of 15 candidates were in the fray for the election held on Feb 14.
The by-election was necessitated as Sahu`s husband, BJP legislator Madanlal Sahu, died following cardiac arrest in August last year.
With the Sajari Balod victory, the tally of the BJP in the 90-member state assembly has risen to 49, the opposition Congress has 39 members and the Bahujan Samaj Party two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000