BJP wins by-election in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday won the Sanjari Balod assembly seat defeating the Congress after 14 rounds of counting.
BJP`s Kumari Bai Sahu defeated her nearest rival Mohan Patel of Congress by nearly 9,500 votes. A total of 15 candidates were in the fray for the election held on Feb 14.
The by-election was necessitated as Sahu`s husband, BJP legislator Madanlal Sahu, died following cardiac arrest in August last year.
With the Sajari Balod victory, the tally of the BJP in the 90-member state assembly has risen to 49, the opposition Congress has 39 members and the Bahujan Samaj Party two.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know