BJP wins by-election in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday won the Sanjari Balod assembly seat defeating the Congress after 14 rounds of counting.
BJP`s Kumari Bai Sahu defeated her nearest rival Mohan Patel of Congress by nearly 9,500 votes. A total of 15 candidates were in the fray for the election held on Feb 14.
The by-election was necessitated as Sahu`s husband, BJP legislator Madanlal Sahu, died following cardiac arrest in August last year.
With the Sajari Balod victory, the tally of the BJP in the 90-member state assembly has risen to 49, the opposition Congress has 39 members and the Bahujan Samaj Party two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India