BJP workers held for allegedly assaulting a government doctor
Korba: The brother of Chhattisgarh`s Deputy Speaker of Assembly and his 15 aides were booked for allegedly assaulting a government doctor in the Janjgir-Champa district of the state, police said here on Friday.
However, so far no arrest has been made in this connection, police said.
Doctors of Government District Hospital at Champa lodged a police complaint on Wednesday, alleging that Shekhar Chandel who is the brother of Chhattisgarh Deputy Speaker Narayan Chandel and his supporters had beaten up doctor Pratap Singh Kurre on August 25 late night, over providing medical treatment to an injured BJP worker.
A case has been registered under various sections of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, Chhattisgarh Medical Protection Act, and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against Shekhar Chandel and his 15 associates, with the Janjgir Police station.
"Later, the case was transferred to the Champa police, but no arrest has been made in this connection so far," Champa Sub-Divisional Officer of Police (SDOP) Sadanand Kumar told.
Meanwhile, government doctors who have been on a protest in the district since Thursday, threatened to stage a statewide protest if the accused is not arrested.
"If the accused are not arrested, then a statewide demonstration will be held by doctors," Indian Medical Association`s district president K P Rathore said.
According to police, Shekhar and his aides had beaten up a doctor when he was on his way to attend to other patients after treating an injured BJP worker.
However, the accused allegedly forced the doctor to concentrate exclusively on the BJP workers, police said.
The incident was recorded on the hospital`s CCTV cameras which showed the ruling party MLA`s kin and his supporters assaulting the doctor Kurre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof