BJP workers held for allegedly assaulting a government doctor
Korba: The brother of Chhattisgarh`s Deputy Speaker of Assembly and his 15 aides were booked for allegedly assaulting a government doctor in the Janjgir-Champa district of the state, police said here on Friday.
However, so far no arrest has been made in this connection, police said.
Doctors of Government District Hospital at Champa lodged a police complaint on Wednesday, alleging that Shekhar Chandel who is the brother of Chhattisgarh Deputy Speaker Narayan Chandel and his supporters had beaten up doctor Pratap Singh Kurre on August 25 late night, over providing medical treatment to an injured BJP worker.
A case has been registered under various sections of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, Chhattisgarh Medical Protection Act, and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against Shekhar Chandel and his 15 associates, with the Janjgir Police station.
"Later, the case was transferred to the Champa police, but no arrest has been made in this connection so far," Champa Sub-Divisional Officer of Police (SDOP) Sadanand Kumar told.
Meanwhile, government doctors who have been on a protest in the district since Thursday, threatened to stage a statewide protest if the accused is not arrested.
"If the accused are not arrested, then a statewide demonstration will be held by doctors," Indian Medical Association`s district president K P Rathore said.
According to police, Shekhar and his aides had beaten up a doctor when he was on his way to attend to other patients after treating an injured BJP worker.
However, the accused allegedly forced the doctor to concentrate exclusively on the BJP workers, police said.
The incident was recorded on the hospital`s CCTV cameras which showed the ruling party MLA`s kin and his supporters assaulting the doctor Kurre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL