Bombs found in Chhattisgarh`s Maoist heartland
Raipur: Two bombs of 40 kg each were recovered Sunday from Chhattisgarh`s Maoist insurgency-hit Bastar region, police said.
Officials at police headquarters here said the bombs were placed on a forested road in Awapalli area of Bijapur district, 500 km from Raipur.
A search team of the state police spotted the bombs and called in a bomb disposal squad that immediately defused them.
Police suspect that Maoists placed the bombs to target a convoy of police and paramilitary forces which was expected to cross the road in the afternoon.
Bijapur, along with Dantewada, Bastar, Narayanpur and Kanker districts, forms the 40,000 sq km forested Bastar region where Maoists have been running a parallel administration in the interiors since the 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'