Bombs found in Chhattisgarh`s Maoist heartland
Raipur: Two bombs of 40 kg each were recovered Sunday from Chhattisgarh`s Maoist insurgency-hit Bastar region, police said.
Officials at police headquarters here said the bombs were placed on a forested road in Awapalli area of Bijapur district, 500 km from Raipur.
A search team of the state police spotted the bombs and called in a bomb disposal squad that immediately defused them.
Police suspect that Maoists placed the bombs to target a convoy of police and paramilitary forces which was expected to cross the road in the afternoon.
Bijapur, along with Dantewada, Bastar, Narayanpur and Kanker districts, forms the 40,000 sq km forested Bastar region where Maoists have been running a parallel administration in the interiors since the 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!