BSF chopper crashes in Raipur, five injured
Raipur: Five occupants of a Border Security Force (BSF) helicopter were injured when it crashed at Raipur airport Sunday while on a test flight, police and airport officials said.
"The helicopter crashed from a height of about 100 feet when it took off for a test flight. Five people -- the pilot, co-pilot, one engineer and two technicians -- who were on the board sustained injuries," Mana airport in-charge Anil Roy told reporters.
State police chief Anil M Navaney, who rushed to the spot along with other officials, said that all the five injured were taken to a private hospital where a doctor said they were out of danger.
The crashed chopper is said to be a Dhruv, developed and manufactured by the Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
The BSF uses helicopters in Chhattisgarh for providing logistics support to its personnel and also evacuating its men in case of Maoist attacks in violence-hit Kanker district of Bastar region where BSF troopers have been deployed to take on the guerillas.
Sources said that BSF had launched a probe into the incident in which local police and airport officials were assisting.
The crash blocked the runway and flights to New Delhi and Mumbai by private carriers were delayed for hours. Officials were hard at work to restore normalcy at the airport, from where 32 flights operate daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH