BSF chopper crashes in Raipur, five injured
Raipur: Five occupants of a Border Security Force (BSF) helicopter were injured when it crashed at Raipur airport Sunday while on a test flight, police and airport officials said.
"The helicopter crashed from a height of about 100 feet when it took off for a test flight. Five people -- the pilot, co-pilot, one engineer and two technicians -- who were on the board sustained injuries," Mana airport in-charge Anil Roy told reporters.
State police chief Anil M Navaney, who rushed to the spot along with other officials, said that all the five injured were taken to a private hospital where a doctor said they were out of danger.
The crashed chopper is said to be a Dhruv, developed and manufactured by the Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
The BSF uses helicopters in Chhattisgarh for providing logistics support to its personnel and also evacuating its men in case of Maoist attacks in violence-hit Kanker district of Bastar region where BSF troopers have been deployed to take on the guerillas.
Sources said that BSF had launched a probe into the incident in which local police and airport officials were assisting.
The crash blocked the runway and flights to New Delhi and Mumbai by private carriers were delayed for hours. Officials were hard at work to restore normalcy at the airport, from where 32 flights operate daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Army, CRPF squabble over who killed Pampore terrorists
- This smartphone app can help you avoid unplanned pregnancy!
- Taiwan 'to test-fire missiles in US' as China tensions rise
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails