BSF helicopter fired at by Naxals, 2nd incident this yr
Raipur: A BSF helicopter, involved in lifting commandos conducting anti-Naxal operations, was on Wednesday fired at by Naxalites in the jungles of south Bastar in Chhattisgarh, officials said.
The Mi-17 helicopter suffered bullet shots in the cockpit area but landed safely with the last passenger load of `Greyhound` commandos in Andhra Pradesh`s Bhadrachalam in Khammam district, senior officials involved in the operation said.
The helicopter was pressed for troop evacuation after the commando squad conducted an anti-Maoist operation in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh yesterday where ten Naxals were killed.
The incident of opening fire at the chopper took place in Puwarti village under Jagargunda police station area of the district in south Bastar during the evening hours.
During the firing, ten commandos of Andhra Pradesh police force were evacuated, they said.
Security forces had also thrown a ring around the helipad but still the Maoists attempt to hit the chopper succeeded, they said, adding that a squad of CRPF personnel fanned in the nearby areas to look for Naxal cadres.
Two IAF Mi-17 choppers were also part of the same operation today but they were safe during their entire sortie where they transported 30 Greyhounds personnel from Chhattisgarh to Andhra Pradesh.
This is the second incident of Naxalites firing on security forces` helicopters after an IAF chopper was hit in January in the same district.
A joint squad of Andhra Pradesh`s Greyhounds, CRPF and state police had conducted an operation in the area yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video