Cache of arms recovered after encounter with Naxals in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A cache of arms and ammunition was recovered after a prolonged gunbattle between security personnel and Maoists in Naxal-affected Kondagaon district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Friday.
The exchange of fire took place in Chhote Usri`s Patelpara forest under Mardapal police station limits last evening, Kondagaon Additional Superintendent of Police Surjit Atri told PTI.
Acting on a tip-off, the joint party of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district force was mobilised for an area domination operation in Mardapal forests located around 300 kms away from Raipur on Thursday morning.
On sensing security forces near Kakda Beda forest of Patelpara area, about 25 armed Naxals led by self-styled Naxal commander of Mardapal LOS (local operation squad) Kosa, opened indiscriminate firing on them.
After security forces launched retaliatory attack, Naxals fled into the jungles, he said.
Following the encounter, a search operation was launched in the region during which five muzzle loading guns, explosives and commodities of daily use of Naxals were seized, he said.
Though no casualty was reported during the encounter, he said some of the rebels could have suffered injuries.
Soon after the incident, additional forces were rushed to the spot, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'