Cache of arms recovered after encounter with Naxals in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A cache of arms and ammunition was recovered after a prolonged gunbattle between security personnel and Maoists in Naxal-affected Kondagaon district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Friday.
The exchange of fire took place in Chhote Usri`s Patelpara forest under Mardapal police station limits last evening, Kondagaon Additional Superintendent of Police Surjit Atri told PTI.
Acting on a tip-off, the joint party of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and district force was mobilised for an area domination operation in Mardapal forests located around 300 kms away from Raipur on Thursday morning.
On sensing security forces near Kakda Beda forest of Patelpara area, about 25 armed Naxals led by self-styled Naxal commander of Mardapal LOS (local operation squad) Kosa, opened indiscriminate firing on them.
After security forces launched retaliatory attack, Naxals fled into the jungles, he said.
Following the encounter, a search operation was launched in the region during which five muzzle loading guns, explosives and commodities of daily use of Naxals were seized, he said.
Though no casualty was reported during the encounter, he said some of the rebels could have suffered injuries.
Soon after the incident, additional forces were rushed to the spot, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra