C’garh: 6 CISF men among 7 killed in Naxal ambush
Raipur: Seven persons, including six jawans of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), were killed tonight in an ambush by Naxals in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district.
The jawans, including a head constable and five constables, were on patrol duty guarding the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) facility in Kirandul when armed Naxals ambushed them with heavy gunfire at around 0930 PM.
"Six CISF men and a civilian driver have been killed. Additional forces have been rushed to the spot," Chhattisgarh ADGP (anti-naxal operations) Ram Nivas said.
He said that an unknown number of jawans are reportedly injured in the ambush and are being rescued from the spot.
The jawans, onboard a Bolero vehicle being driven by a civilian driver, were killed after a brief retaliation. The security personnel were outnumbered.
The Kirandul-Bacheli mines of the NMDC in the jungles of Dantewada are a Naxal hotbed and frequent clashes between the naxals and the security forces are regular in the area.
As per preliminary reports, the Naxals also looted the weapons of the CISF party. Senior officials at CISF headquarters in Delhi and at Raipur said they were trying to ascertain details of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official