C’garh Collector abduction: Bhushan won’t mediate
New Delhi: Hours after Maoists named three mediators for negotiations to release abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon, senior Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan – one of the nominees – on Tuesday said he would not get involved in negotiations.
Bhushan, a member of Team Anna, reportedly said that he cannot mediate in such kind of problems. He however appealed to Maoists to release the IAS officer unconditionally.
Bhushan said some of the Maoists’ demands were justified but added, it was not right to abduct an officer to use him as a bargaining tool.
Apart from Bhushan, Naxals had last night named BD Sharma and Manish Kunjam as mediators for the negotiations.
Kunjam, a local MLA, has also refused to mediate in the matter.
Menon was kidnapped by Naxals last Saturday in Sukma district in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region.
While naming the mediators, Maoists said the condition of Menon, who is asthmatic, was critical and asked the mediators to bring medicines along.
On Monday, in view of the abduction, the state government reportedly halted anti-Naxal operations in Bastar region. However, the security forces have reportedly managed to trace the Collector with the help of unmanned aerial vehicles. Around 400 Naxals are reported to be guarding the IAS officer.
The Dandakaranya special zonal committee of CPI-Maoist, which carried out the abduction, has set a deadline of April 25 to meet all their demands for the safe release of the Collector.
Maoists’ demands include suspension of Operation Green Hunt in Bastar and the release of eight ultras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report