C`garh conducting intelligence ops against Maoists
Raipur: Chhattisgarh is now focusing on intelligence-based operations against Maoists in their forested strongholds, state Director General of Police (DGP) Anil Navaney said on Thursday.
"Chhattisgarh is very cautious against Maoists who have not managed to carry out major attacks in recent months, but we are maintaining the heat on them in forested areas by conducting intelligence-based operations," Navaney told reporters.
The state witnessed a series of deadly Maoist attacks in the post 2005 period till mid-2011.
But it is getting good success against Maoists through joint operations with neighbouring states like Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand.
Navaney, who was appointed Chhattisgarh DGP in July last year, said he was striving to improve the intelligence set-up by adopting high-tech resources.
The police chief refused to comment on alleged payment of "protection money" to Maoists by Essar Steel in Dantewada district. "A Special Investigation Team (SIT) is probing the case and it would be premature to comment till the probe is completed," Navaney said.
Chhattisgarh Police have arrested four people since September last year, including a general manager rank official of Essar Steel, for the alleged payment of protection money to Maoists in Dantewada but the official, DVCS Verma, was granted bail by a local court Wednesday against two sureties of Rs 2 lakh each. A local contractor, BK Lala, and two alleged Maoist conduits, Soni Sori and Lingaram Kodopi, are still in jail on judicial remand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack