C`garh conducting intelligence ops against Maoists
Raipur: Chhattisgarh is now focusing on intelligence-based operations against Maoists in their forested strongholds, state Director General of Police (DGP) Anil Navaney said on Thursday.
"Chhattisgarh is very cautious against Maoists who have not managed to carry out major attacks in recent months, but we are maintaining the heat on them in forested areas by conducting intelligence-based operations," Navaney told reporters.
The state witnessed a series of deadly Maoist attacks in the post 2005 period till mid-2011.
But it is getting good success against Maoists through joint operations with neighbouring states like Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand.
Navaney, who was appointed Chhattisgarh DGP in July last year, said he was striving to improve the intelligence set-up by adopting high-tech resources.
The police chief refused to comment on alleged payment of "protection money" to Maoists by Essar Steel in Dantewada district. "A Special Investigation Team (SIT) is probing the case and it would be premature to comment till the probe is completed," Navaney said.
Chhattisgarh Police have arrested four people since September last year, including a general manager rank official of Essar Steel, for the alleged payment of protection money to Maoists in Dantewada but the official, DVCS Verma, was granted bail by a local court Wednesday against two sureties of Rs 2 lakh each. A local contractor, BK Lala, and two alleged Maoist conduits, Soni Sori and Lingaram Kodopi, are still in jail on judicial remand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'