C`garh encounter: Judicial probe ordered as locals cry foul
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh government today ordered a judicial inquiry into Friday night`s encounter between security forces and suspected naxals near Edasmeta village in Bijapur district, in which eight villagers were killed.
The locals alleged today that the encounter was fake.
A commission headed by Justice V K Agrawal, which is already probing the encounter with Maoists at Sarkeguda in Bijpaur district on June 28-29, 2012, will conduct inquiry into this incident too.
The decision was taken at a meeting of senior officials, chaired by Chief Minister Raman Singh, an official statement said.
The government also announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the kin of the villagers who were killed.
According to police, eight villagers, including three minors, and a personnel of elite Cobra battalion of CRPF were killed in the gun-battle between security forces and the ultras near Edasmeta village in southern Chhattisgarh on the intervening night of May 17-18.
The Cobra (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) battalion 208 was on a combing operation at the time.
A senior police official claimed that one of the killed men was identified as Karam Masa (27), a naxal, who was active in the region for the past several years.
Other deceased were identified as Karam Pandu, Karam Guddu, Karam Joga, Karam Somlu, Karam Badru, Punem Sonu and Punem Lakh, Bijapur Collector Mohammad Kaiser Abdul Haq told PTI over phone.
"Three of the killed villagers were under-15," he said.
A group of women from the tribal-dominated village protested at Gangalur police station alleging that the encounter was fake, and police had killed their family members who were innocent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand