New Delhi/Raipur: The CPI (Maoists) would present abducted Sukma collector Alex Paul Menon before a ‘Jan Adalat’ (people’s court) on Wednesday before freeing him tomorrow.
A late night statement by the Maoists said, "We are ready to hand over Menon on May 3 in front of people of Tadmetla."
"Our mediators B D Sharma and G Hargopal had come to an agreement with the Chhattisgarh government for release of our prisoners from various jails of Chhattisgarh. We are thankful to our mediators who did their level best," the statement said.
The 32-year-old IAS officer, who was abducted on April 21, will be handed over to the two mediators of the Maoists.
However, prior to his release, Menon will be presented before the villagers of Tadmetla today.
The breakthrough to ensure the safe return of Menon came in the form of an agreement between the mediators of the two sides after many rounds of talks.
Under this, government has agreed to set up a high-powered committee headed by Nirmala Buch, one of the two Government mediators, to review the cases of all prisoners languishing in Chattisgarh jails including the cases demanded by the Maoists.
The Maoists had earlier demanded release of eight of their jailed leaders and an immediate halt to operations by security forces against them for the release of Menon.
Menon was taken captive from Majhipara village in Sukma district when he was holding a meeting as part of the government`s special Gram Suraj Abhiyan.
As per reports, the mediators from the Naxal side will travel to Chintalnar by chopper and from there proceed to Tadmetla. Menon’s wife Asha may also join them for the journey.
Barring any last minute glitch, Menon would be handed over them by the Naxals in the presence of the people of Tadmetla. From there, Menon is expected to be brought to Raipur and admitted to a hospital, given her asthmatic condition.