C`garh proposes to set up fast-track courts for rape cases
Raipur: In the wake of the state-wide protests over the Kanker rape case, Raman Singh-led BJP government has decided to send a proposal to the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court to set up fast-track courts in all the districts for speedy disposal of rape cases.
"While talking to a delegation of Akhil Bharatiya Gondwana Gond Mahasabha (ABGGM), Chief Minister said the state government has decided to send the proposal to Chief Justice to set up fast-track courts in each district," a government official said in a statement here today.
The delegation of ABGGM, comprising its National Chief SP Shori, Member of Parliament (MP) Sohan Potai and others, met CM at his official residence last night and handed over a memorandum stating several suggestions to ensure safety of tribal girls in government residential schools and hostels.
"A women`s vigilance committee comprising local women public representatives will be constituted for each residential (ashram) school and hostels for tribal girls to carry out routine inspection. The female public representatives, including panch, sarpanch and corporators, will be inducted into the committees," the statement quoted Singh as saying during the discussion.
The committee will meet the parents of the inmates of the residential schools and hostels at least once a month to enquire about the problems faced by the children.
The Chief Minister also said the accused in rape cases should be given stringent punishment as early as possible.
"For this, the state government will request the Chief Justice of the High Court to establish fast-track courts in each district and deliver justice in such cases within the stipulated time so that cases related to sexual harassment of women could be disposed early," the statement said.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district was reported to police on January 6, following which a contract teacher and school watchman were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?