Chattisgarh govt to use IAF UAVs in naxal zones
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh government is
planning to use Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) of the Indian
Air Force to conduct reconnaissance of naxal-hit areas even as
security forces are mulling entering the Maoist stronghold of
Abujhmad -- an unexplored jungle area in Bastar.
"We are in talks with the IAF to get the help of their
different variants of UAVs which can fly over the naxal-hit
areas in the state and provide us surveillance of the ground.
The IAF has its UAVs presently at Nagpur and we plan to use
them from a base in Jagdalpur," Director General of Police
(DGP) Vishwa Ranjan told a news agency.
Abujhmad, a densely forested area in state`s southern
part in Bastar has an area of around 7,000 square kilometres
and is considered to be the headquarters of the naxals. The
area is also inhabited by tribals and the government machinery
has hardly reached this area.
"The renewed effort is to push out naxalites in
Abujhmarh by conducting joint operations with central forces
like CRPF and BSF," Ranjan said.
The state government is also imparting jungle warfare
training to an increasing number of policemen to help them
undertake such special operations with the help of central
We are sending our officers and personnel to train at the
Counter Terrorism and Jungle Warfare (CTJW) college located at
Kanker. Almost three to four thousand personnel are being
recruited and simultaneously inducted into Chhattisgarh
police per year, he said.
The last such co-ordinated operation was undertaken in
1996 at Abujhmarh. Since then no central force or police unit
has established its post there.
Brigadier (retd) B K Ponwar, who is the Director of the
CTJW, separately said the state policemen are trained in
conditions and terrain similar to Abujhmad and a good number
of such policemen are all prepared to undertake special
"My motto to these policemen is that fight a guerrilla
like a guerrilla. The policemen here are trained to develop
themselves as fearless and sharp commandos. They should
respond to any challenge or attack from naxalites with a quick
reflex and accurate firepower," Ponwar said.
Ponwar has single-handedly trained more than 16000 police
and central forces` personnel at his college.
The college was set-up by the state government six years
ago to cater exclusively to the training of police personnel
who undertake anti-naxal operations and is the only
institution of its kind in the country.
Ranjan, the police chief of the 53,000-personnel strong
force, said efforts to detect deep hidden landmines are under
progress. These landmines have been the cause of death
of the maximum number of police forces in the state.
"An anti-mine vehicle manufactured by a Israeli firm may
soon carry out tests to detect land mines and Improvised
Explosive Devices (IEDs), stealthy put under the ground. It is
a robotic vehicle which works on cat-scan principle and costs
about Rs 20 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'