Ch`garh assembly amends law to check crime against women
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh Assembly today passed the Penal Code (Chhattisgarh Amendment) Bill 2013, seeking more stringent punishment for sexual crimes, including circulation of obscene MMS and SMS.
While elaborating the provisions of the bill, Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar said, "Women now go out to work and to educational institutions. Therefore, it necessary to ensure a safe environment, so that they don`t face stalking, sexual assault, physical assault and other kinds of attacks."
Provisions have been made in the bill for amendment of old sections and incorporating new sections, he said.
Through the amendment, the minimum punishment under these sections has been increased to ensure that those indulging in crime against women are punished severely.
The perspective of crime against women has been expanded through the amendment wherein eve-teasing, vulgar SMS, MMS and e-mails, etc all have been included with increase in punishments.
Provisions have been made in this regard for increasing the existing punishments from six months to two years.
Sexual harassment of women by their relatives could attract imprisonment of anywhere between two to seven years.
There are stringent provisions to punish people who are in-charge of any place where a crime has been committed, and could have stopped the crime from being committed or reported it to the authorities, but didn`t do so.
The minister also said that his government is committed towards ensuring the security and safety of women in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India