Ch`garh assembly amends law to check crime against women
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh Assembly today passed the Penal Code (Chhattisgarh Amendment) Bill 2013, seeking more stringent punishment for sexual crimes, including circulation of obscene MMS and SMS.
While elaborating the provisions of the bill, Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar said, "Women now go out to work and to educational institutions. Therefore, it necessary to ensure a safe environment, so that they don`t face stalking, sexual assault, physical assault and other kinds of attacks."
Provisions have been made in the bill for amendment of old sections and incorporating new sections, he said.
Through the amendment, the minimum punishment under these sections has been increased to ensure that those indulging in crime against women are punished severely.
The perspective of crime against women has been expanded through the amendment wherein eve-teasing, vulgar SMS, MMS and e-mails, etc all have been included with increase in punishments.
Provisions have been made in this regard for increasing the existing punishments from six months to two years.
Sexual harassment of women by their relatives could attract imprisonment of anywhere between two to seven years.
There are stringent provisions to punish people who are in-charge of any place where a crime has been committed, and could have stopped the crime from being committed or reported it to the authorities, but didn`t do so.
The minister also said that his government is committed towards ensuring the security and safety of women in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark