Chhattisgarh: 11 policemen killed in Naxal attack
Raipur: At least 11 policemen were on Friday reportedly killed in an attack by Naxals in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district, officials said.
A police team was ambushed by the Maoists in Metlaperu village forests under Bhadrakali police station area in the district this evening.
Eleven policemen were reportedly killed in the attack, Additional Director General (Naxal operation) Ramnivas said.
Two teams of security personnel were sent for patrolling from Bhadrakali and Bhopalpatnam police stations. One of the them comprised CRPF and district police personnel, while the other team consisted of Chhattisgarh Armed Police members,
The Chhattisgarh Armed Police squad came under heavy fire from the Naxals in Metlaperu jungles. Three jawans were also reportedly injured in the attack, the ADG said, adding that additional security force has been dispatched to the site.
Exact casualties will be known only when the additional policemen arrive at the ambush spot, Ramnivas said.
A helicopter has been requisitioned to evacuate the injured, the senior official stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport