Chhattisgarh: 11 policemen killed in Naxal attack
Raipur: At least 11 policemen were on Friday reportedly killed in an attack by Naxals in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district, officials said.
A police team was ambushed by the Maoists in Metlaperu village forests under Bhadrakali police station area in the district this evening.
Eleven policemen were reportedly killed in the attack, Additional Director General (Naxal operation) Ramnivas said.
Two teams of security personnel were sent for patrolling from Bhadrakali and Bhopalpatnam police stations. One of the them comprised CRPF and district police personnel, while the other team consisted of Chhattisgarh Armed Police members,
The Chhattisgarh Armed Police squad came under heavy fire from the Naxals in Metlaperu jungles. Three jawans were also reportedly injured in the attack, the ADG said, adding that additional security force has been dispatched to the site.
Exact casualties will be known only when the additional policemen arrive at the ambush spot, Ramnivas said.
A helicopter has been requisitioned to evacuate the injured, the senior official stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees