Chhattisgarh: 11 policemen killed in Naxal attack
Raipur: At least 11 policemen were on Friday reportedly killed in an attack by Naxals in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district, officials said.
A police team was ambushed by the Maoists in Metlaperu village forests under Bhadrakali police station area in the district this evening.
Eleven policemen were reportedly killed in the attack, Additional Director General (Naxal operation) Ramnivas said.
Two teams of security personnel were sent for patrolling from Bhadrakali and Bhopalpatnam police stations. One of the them comprised CRPF and district police personnel, while the other team consisted of Chhattisgarh Armed Police members,
The Chhattisgarh Armed Police squad came under heavy fire from the Naxals in Metlaperu jungles. Three jawans were also reportedly injured in the attack, the ADG said, adding that additional security force has been dispatched to the site.
Exact casualties will be known only when the additional policemen arrive at the ambush spot, Ramnivas said.
A helicopter has been requisitioned to evacuate the injured, the senior official stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan