Chhattisgarh attack: 250 Naxals carried out killings
Raipur: Around 250 Naxalites are believed to have carried out the killings of 27 people, including Congress leaders, in Chhattisgarh`s Jagdalpur district.
The Naxalites, suspected to be members of the Dhand Karineya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC), after triggering a blast, stopped the convoy and started shouting the names of people on their hit list which included former home minister of the state Mahendra Karma, architect of Salwa Judam, a people`s movement against naxalism, official sources said.
Karma presented himself before the Naxalites with a plea to leave others but he was hit hard with the butt of the gun and later shot dead, the sources said.
Karma was an ethnic adivasi leader from the undivided Bastar region.
Over a period of time, his brother and 20 other close relatives have been gunned down by Maoists.
The Congress leaders were warned about the possibility of an attack as this is the period of `Tactical Counter Offensive Campaign` (TCOC) of the Maoists, the sources said.
The TCOC begins from April and carries on till early monsoon in July and the thick Dharba forests provide a good cover for the Maoists to hit and scoot.
The then Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had proposed to carry out counter-offensive in the entire Bastar region but had to call off because of opposition from his own party leaders including Digvijay Singh and some members of the Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council.
`Pandu`, who has taken over as the `Divisional Commander` of DKSZC after Ganesh Uike was removed is believed to be behind the attack, the sources said.
The initial firing on the convoy was through country-made weapons and later the Maoists used automatic weapons.
Pradesh Congress Committee chief Nand Kumar Patel and his son -- Dinesh -- were dragged to the dense bushes and shot in their head while senior Congress leader VC Shukla remained unattended for quite some time before he was taken to hospital by some journalists, the sources said.
Dharba Valley, which is a part of Bastar region, is covered with dense forests with teak wood trees. The valley has always been a cause of concern for the security personnel and various plans presented to the state as well as the Central government had to be shelved because of opposition from within the Congress.
The sources said that Naxals have been carrying out major strikes between April to July which included the infamous Dantewada massacre of 76 CRPF personnel on April six, 2010, and killing of 10 Odisha Policemen in Koraput the same year in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price