Chhattisgarh bank scam accused denies bribing Raman Singh, BJP ministers
Raipur: An accused in a multi-crore cooperative bank scam on Tuesday did a U-turn on his statement that he had paid bribe to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh and some ministers of his Cabinet, prompting Congress to allege that the retraction is made under duress.
Umesh Sinha, the then manager of Indira Priyadarshini Mahila Nagrik Sahkari Bank that went bust in 2006, said, "I have not made money transactions with anyone. I am not at all under pressure or being threatened by anyone".
Sinha is currently out on bail.
Opposition Congress had last month released a CD and transcripts of Sinha`s narco-analysis test in which he purportedly named Raman Singh and four ministers as beneficiaries in the scam.
The BJP had already denied the allegations.
"I was in sub-conscious state during narco analysis and I don`t know anything I had spoken at that time," he said.
When asked about his whereabouts after revelation of transcripts of the test by Congress, he said he was visiting places of pilgrimage.
Unfazed by Sinha`s retraction, Congress said it was apparent that he is under pressure to do U-turn on the confession.
"Sinha was missing for last two weeks. Now, he has surfaced suddenly and is denying all charges which he had himself made in narco test. It seems he is under pressure," said senior party leader Satyanarayan Sharma.
Sharma also dared ruling BJP government to come up with the CD of Sinha`s narco analysis and file a defamation suit if it feels that Congress levelled baseless allegations.
The CD and transcripts of the narco-analysis showed Sinha as saying that he paid Rs 1 crore each to Raman Singh and ministers Brijmohan Agrawal, Amar Agrawal, Ramvichar Netam and Rajesh Munat after the bank went bust.
Sinha had also admitted that he paid money to the ruling party politicians at the behest of the then chairperson of the bank Rita Tiwari.
Tiwari had, however, denied the charge.
Congress has been demanding resignation of the Chief Minister and his Cabinet colleagues named by Sinha over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur