Chhattisgarh: BJP minister, Raipur mayor arrested over clash
Raipur: Senior BJP minister Brijmohan Agrawal and Raipur Mayor Kiranmayee Nayak were arrested in connection with a clash between their supporters during a news channel show here, police said on Sunday.
Agrawal and Nayak were arrested last night, but were later released on bail bond, police said.
A clash broke out between supporters of School Education Minister Brijmohan Agrawal and Congress candidate Kiranmayee Nayak when they were brought together on a common platform by a news channel for its political show on Wednesday night, Raipur Superintendent of Police OP Pal said.
Nayak is pitted against Agrawal from Raipur South constituency in the upcoming assembly elections.
The discussion on the show took an ugly turn when Kiranmayee, replying to a query of the anchor, allegedly used some derogatory terms for state Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar. However, Agrawal asked her to use appropriate language for the minister saying that the show was going public, the SP said.
BJP as well as Congress supporters present at the venue soon jumped on to the dais and flung chairs. However, they were soon pacified by the police, Pal said.
Since the show was being broadcast live, the clash was caught on camera, police said.
Later, Nayak lodged a case against Agrawal and his supporters, while the ruling party workers also registered a counter case, he said.
Cases were registered against both the leaders and their supporters under IPC sections 147 (punishment for rioting), 294 (obscene acts and songs) and 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!