Chhattisgarh blast: Cop killed, 24 others injured
Raipur: A policeman was killed and his five colleagues were injured, along with 19 prisoners, Saturday when a blast triggered by the Maoists ripped through their vehicle in the insurgency-hit Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, police said.
"All the 25 people seated in the vehicle sustained serious injuries but the condition of three policemen and 11 prisoners is critical," Additional Director General of Police (Maoist Operations) Ram Niwas said to a news agency.
The attack took place on a bridge on National Highway No.30 in the newly-formed Kondagaon district, some 210 km south from state capital Raipur.
The blast ripped through the vehicle carrying 25 people, including 19 prisoners, who were returning to Bastar district headquarters Jagdalpur from Kondagaon after being presented in a local court, police here said.
Niwas said it was a powerful blast.
The local police officials admitted that the attack was "a fallout of serious security lapse". The critically injured would be taken to Raipur for medical treatment.
A police official in Jagdalpur said the attack "may be a case of mistaken identity" as the jail vehicle looked similar to the vehicle used by police and paramilitary forces in the Bastar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof