Chhattisgarh chopper attack: IAF asked to submit detailed report
New Delhi: The IAF has been asked to submit a detailed report about the incident in Chhattisgarh where Naxals forced its chopper to land in thick forests after which its crew reportedly left it and an injured CRPF trooper onboard unguarded, Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said.
"It was a sad incident and I am pained at it. I have already asked the IAF and I am also getting details from other sources," he said when asked about the January 16 incident.
Antony was asked to comment on reports suggesting that IAF air crew including two Garud security guards had abandoned their chopper with their weapons and an injured CRPF trooper on board.
The IAF has ordered a Court of Inquiry into the incident. It will also look into the decision taken by air crew and Garud security guards to leave the chopper unguarded in the thick forests.
The incident had occurred last Friday when the Mi-17 helicopter on a casualty evacuation mission came under fire from Naxals. It had crash landed after the 15 hits caused extensive damage.
The helicopter, which had seven persons onboard, was fired when it was descending to pick up an injured jawan of the Chhattisgarh Armed Force which was conducting a road- opening operation along with CRPF.
Reports suggested that the air crew and two Garud guards left behind the chopper with two machine guns on-board to get help from the nearby CRPF camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway