Chhattisgarh Cong MLAs on way to arson site arrested, released
Raipur: Ten Congress MLAs, who were on
their way to Chhattisgarh`s Naxal-hit Dantewada district to
probe an arson incident, were today arrested by the police and
The legislators were stopped at Polampalli village for
security reasons. When they protested, they were arrested and
later released, Inspector-General (Bastar region) T J
Longkumer said to a news agency by phone.
The Opposition MLAs, including former Home Minister
Nandkumar Patel, were stopped following reports of presence of
Maoists near the village, he said.
The lawmakers were taken to a CRPF camp at Doranpal
village and set free, the police officer said.
Some villagers threw stones and damaged the car of the
Bastar Divisional Commissioner, who was accompanying the
Congress delegation, he said.
The MLAs, however, termed the police action as a
"conspiracy". They said the police did not want the
legislators to visit the arson site at Tadmedla area in
Dantewada as policemen themselves were involved in the
Congress leader Dharamjeet Singh said the police
forcibly arrested the party lawmakers.
The arson was reported between March 11 and 14
following an encounter between the Naxals and police. Local
villagers had blamed the policemen for the arson, a charge
denied by the latter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly