Chhattisgarh Cong seeks CBI probe into `fake` encounter in Bijapur
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Congress today sought a CBI probe into alleged fake encounter between security forces and suspected Naxals in Bijapur district on the night of May 17, saying that innocent children were killed in the incident.
A delegation of Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee (CGPCC), headed by its chief Nand Kumar Patel, today called on Governor Shekhar Dutt and submitted a memorandum seeking CBI probe into the incident.
Eight villagers, including three minors and a personnel of elite Cobra battalion of CRPF were killed in the gun-battle between security forces and the ultras near Edasmeta village in southern Chhattisgarh on the intervening night of May 17-18.
"It is very unfortunate that innocent tribals are being targeted in the state. Government and police are responsible for the deaths of tribals," Patel said.
In Edasmeta encounter, three children- Guddu Karam (10), Bahadur (12) and Punem Lakhan (15)- were killed and now government is trying to brand them as Maoists instead of admitting their mistake, alleged Patel.
Justice V K Agrawal Commission which has already been probing the encounter at Sarkeguda (Bijapur) and Chimlipenta and Silgar (Sukma), has now been assigned to probe Edasmeta encounter as well, he said.
"It is quite illegitimate, as the commission has so far not tabled its report on the earlier incidents, then how it would handle this incident," Patel said adding that his party has demanded CBI probe so that truth will come to the fore and innocent people would get justice.
The state government has ordered a judicial inquiry into the incident after the locals alleged that it was a "fake" encounter.
A commission headed by Justice Agrawal, which is already probing the encounter with Maoists at Sarkeguda in Bijpaur district on June 28-29, 2012, will conduct inquiry into this incident too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report