Chhattisgarh cop shoots own kids, wife before killing himself
Zee Media Bureau
Jagdalpur: In a shocking incident, Devnarayan Patel, the City Superintendent of Police, shot his wife and two children before turning the service revolver on himself in the wee hours in Bastar district of Chhattisgarh Tuesday.
Jagdalpur City Superintendent of Police Devnarayan Patel (40) shot himself with his service weapon after gunning down his wife Pratima (35) at his official residence in Shaket Colony in Jagdalpur at 2 am.
Son Aryan (6) and daughter Puja (11), who were also shot at, have been hospitalised, Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) Arun Dev Gautam told a news agency.
Patel`s wife Pratima died on the spot while the children sustained severe bullet injuries and have been admitted to Ramkrishna Care Hospital in Raipur, the IG said.
No suicide note has been recovered from the spot so far and prima facie nothing could be established as a reason behind the incident, the IG said, adding further investigations are on.
Patel was suspended on Monday following a verbal spat with Additional District Judge, Bastar, A Toppo on Sunday, the IG said.
Sources in the police department said Patel was apparently disturbed over his suspension which led him to take such an extreme step.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket