Chhattisgarh government made people drunkards
Raipur: Slamming Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its plans to ban alcohol consumption in the state, Congress leader Ajit Jogi said on Wednesday that it was the BJP government that had made the people addicted to liquor since it came to power in 2003.
"The government`s move to have a total ban on alcohol in the state in a phased manner is a complete farce and is aimed to fool people to garner votes of women, who are strongly opposing opening of liquor shops in almost every village," Jogi said in a statement.
The former chief minister issued the statement after the state government said it had closed down 263 liquor shops in the current fiscal and will implement a total ban on liquor consumption in a phased manner.
"It was the BJP government that allowed hundreds of liquor shops to be opened in each area of the state and made people addicted to liquor and spoiled several families. It also led to a rise in domestic violence against women," Jogi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race