Chhattisgarh government made people drunkards
Raipur: Slamming Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its plans to ban alcohol consumption in the state, Congress leader Ajit Jogi said on Wednesday that it was the BJP government that had made the people addicted to liquor since it came to power in 2003.
"The government`s move to have a total ban on alcohol in the state in a phased manner is a complete farce and is aimed to fool people to garner votes of women, who are strongly opposing opening of liquor shops in almost every village," Jogi said in a statement.
The former chief minister issued the statement after the state government said it had closed down 263 liquor shops in the current fiscal and will implement a total ban on liquor consumption in a phased manner.
"It was the BJP government that allowed hundreds of liquor shops to be opened in each area of the state and made people addicted to liquor and spoiled several families. It also led to a rise in domestic violence against women," Jogi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory