Chhattisgarh government made people drunkards
Raipur: Slamming Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its plans to ban alcohol consumption in the state, Congress leader Ajit Jogi said on Wednesday that it was the BJP government that had made the people addicted to liquor since it came to power in 2003.
"The government`s move to have a total ban on alcohol in the state in a phased manner is a complete farce and is aimed to fool people to garner votes of women, who are strongly opposing opening of liquor shops in almost every village," Jogi said in a statement.
The former chief minister issued the statement after the state government said it had closed down 263 liquor shops in the current fiscal and will implement a total ban on liquor consumption in a phased manner.
"It was the BJP government that allowed hundreds of liquor shops to be opened in each area of the state and made people addicted to liquor and spoiled several families. It also led to a rise in domestic violence against women," Jogi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH