Chhattisgarh government made people drunkards
Raipur: Slamming Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its plans to ban alcohol consumption in the state, Congress leader Ajit Jogi said on Wednesday that it was the BJP government that had made the people addicted to liquor since it came to power in 2003.
"The government`s move to have a total ban on alcohol in the state in a phased manner is a complete farce and is aimed to fool people to garner votes of women, who are strongly opposing opening of liquor shops in almost every village," Jogi said in a statement.
The former chief minister issued the statement after the state government said it had closed down 263 liquor shops in the current fiscal and will implement a total ban on liquor consumption in a phased manner.
"It was the BJP government that allowed hundreds of liquor shops to be opened in each area of the state and made people addicted to liquor and spoiled several families. It also led to a rise in domestic violence against women," Jogi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Black money window: CBDT issues fresh FAQs; PAN mandatory
- France opens manslaughter inquiry into EgyptAir crash
- BGR-34 - Ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug launched by CSIR!
- After Dalai Lama met Lady Gaga, China warns of his motives
- Ishrat Jahan encounter case: GK Pillai knew of changes in affidavit, says inquiry panel