‘Chhattisgarh govt violated rights in Sodhi case’
Raipur: Former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister
Ajit Jogi on Monday accused the state government of violating
human rights of an alleged Maoist and an accused in the Essar
Steel case, Soni Sodhi.
Sodhi was arrested on October 4 from Delhi for her alleged
involvement in negotiating and delivering protection payments
from the Essar Group to Maoist rebels in Chhattisgarh.
Citing a medical report by Kolkata-based NRS Medical
College and Hospital, Jogi said in a statement that the tribal
woman was tortured during her stay in Jagdalpur Central Jail,
following which she appealed in the Supreme Court.
The apex court ordered shifting of Sodhi to Raipur jail
from the Jagdalpur jail based on the report, the Congress
leader said, adding the court has also sought a reply from the
Raman Singh government over "inhuman treatment" meted to her
during police custody.
Accusing the state government of violating Sodhi`s
human rights by branding her as a Naxal sympathiser even
before subjecting her to a trial, Jogi demanded that the state
government should bear expenses for raising her two children.
Continuing his tirade against the ruling BJP government,
the former chief minister alleged the state has "tacitly
facilitated funding Naxal groups through big corporates over
last eight years".
"When Sodhi, who is a teacher, raised the issue of illegal
funding being facilitated by the state government through the
channel of some corporate houses, she was implicated in a
false case," Jogi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about