Chhattisgarh HC rejects bail pleas of Soni Sori, nephew
Bilaspur: Chhattisgarh High Court today rejected the bail plea of tribal teacher Soni Sori and her nephew Lingaram Kodopi, who were arrested for allegedly receiving money on behalf of Maoists from a corporate house in Chhattisgarh.
"A single bench of Justice Prashant Mishra rejected the bail application?on Monday, observing that allegations against them were of a serious nature," Sori`s counsel Shishir Dixit said.
36-year-old Sori and her?activist-nephew Kodopi (25) were arrested on charges of acting as Maoist conduits in alleged payouts of protection money by the Essar group to Maoists.
According to the police, Kodopi and B K Lala, a building contractor with Essar Steel Ltd, were nabbed with Rs 15 lakh cash, which was allegedly meant to be paid to Maoist guerrillas on September 9, 2011, from a weekly market at Palnar village in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh.
Police had claimed that the recovered cash was protection money allegedly originating from the Essar group and Kodopi had received it on behalf of the Maoists.
The police had claimed that Sori was also associated with Kodopi, but she managed to flee the spot.
Later, she was arrested on October 4, 2011, in New Delhi and Essar Steel Ltd`s General Manager DVCS Verma was also arrested in this connection.
However, the Dantewada district court had granted bail to GM Verma and contractor BK Lala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you