Chhattisgarh mine blast toll climbs to 11

Last Updated: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 18:02

Korba (Chhattisgarh): Bodies of all six
workers who went missing after an underground coal mine blast
in South Eastern Coalfield Limited (SECL) have been recovered,
taking the mishap toll to 11, officials said today.

Bodies of three miners -- S B R Raju, Tapan Kumar Sarkar
and Abhishek Mishra, were recovered by the rescue team since
last evening, SECL Chairman-cum-Managing Director M P Dixit
said.

The team had spotted Raju`s body yesterday but could not
bring it out due to high temperature inside, following which
it resumed its operations this morning, he said.

Earlier this week, the rescue team had recovered bodies
of three other trapped miners.

The deceased have been identified as SECL Deputy General
Manager S K Goswami, his colleagues-- Anand Kumar Pal, Jagdish
Prasad, Radheshyam, Ravindra Shah, Dal Bahadur, Santosh Kumar
Yadav and labour contractor Nirmal Jangde, the official said.

Dixit clarified that the blast-hit Anjani hill coal mine
in Koriya would not be closed down, but precautions would be
taken to avert such incidents in future.

He said the coal production work will continue but after
making proper arrangements to prevent carbon monoxide leak.

An air blast in the Anjali Hill mine in Chirmiri area of
Koriya district on May 6 had left five persons dead, six
missing and 32 others injured when they were trying to fix a
carbon monoxide leak.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 18:02

comments powered by Disqus