Chhattisgarh minister files defamation suit against 2 Congressmen
Bilaspur: Under attack from Opposition on over an alleged land scam, Chhattisgarh`s Health Minister Amar Agrawal on Monday filed a criminal defamation suit against Congress leaders Vivek Bajpayee and Vani Rao in a court here.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Omprakash Chauhan admitted the suit and fixed May 13 for hearing the matter.
The Health and Family Welfare Minister`s counsel Ranveer Singh said Bajpayee and Bilaspur Mayor Vani Rao, who also belongs to Congress, had made allegedly defamatory remarks against Agrawal in connection with the alleged land scam at Bhadora village of Bilaspur district during a demonstration here on March 15.
Agrawal had earlier sent notices to both the leaders seeking apology for their remarks within 15 days. When they failed to respond within stipulated period, the BJP Minister took this step, Singh added.
The suit has been filed under IPC sections related to defamation, the lawyer said, adding the statements of witnesses will be recorded during the next court hearing.
The scam relates to registration of several acres of land at Bhadora village. Congress has alleged Agrawal, MLA from Bilaspur district, was involved in these land dealings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore