Chhattisgarh minister files defamation suit against 2 Congressmen
Bilaspur: Under attack from Opposition on over an alleged land scam, Chhattisgarh`s Health Minister Amar Agrawal on Monday filed a criminal defamation suit against Congress leaders Vivek Bajpayee and Vani Rao in a court here.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Omprakash Chauhan admitted the suit and fixed May 13 for hearing the matter.
The Health and Family Welfare Minister`s counsel Ranveer Singh said Bajpayee and Bilaspur Mayor Vani Rao, who also belongs to Congress, had made allegedly defamatory remarks against Agrawal in connection with the alleged land scam at Bhadora village of Bilaspur district during a demonstration here on March 15.
Agrawal had earlier sent notices to both the leaders seeking apology for their remarks within 15 days. When they failed to respond within stipulated period, the BJP Minister took this step, Singh added.
The suit has been filed under IPC sections related to defamation, the lawyer said, adding the statements of witnesses will be recorded during the next court hearing.
The scam relates to registration of several acres of land at Bhadora village. Congress has alleged Agrawal, MLA from Bilaspur district, was involved in these land dealings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company