Chhattisgarh Minister files defamation suit against two Congressmen
Bilaspur: Under attack from Opposition on over an alleged land scam, Chhattisgarh`s Health Minister Amar Agrawal on Monday filed a criminal defamation suit against Congress leaders Vivek Bajpayee and Vani Rao in a court here.
Chief Judicial Magistrate Omprakash Chauhan admitted the suit and fixed May 13 for hearing the matter.
The Health and Family Welfare Minister`s counsel Ranveer Singh said Bajpayee and Bilaspur Mayor Vani Rao, who also belongs to Congress, had made allegedly defamatory remarks against Agrawal in connection with the alleged land scam at Bhadora village of Bilaspur district during a demonstration here on March 15.
Agrawal had earlier sent notices to both the leaders seeking apology for their remarks within 15 days. When they failed to respond within stipulated period, the BJP Minister took this step, Singh added.
The suit has been filed under IPC sections related to defamation, the lawyer said, adding the statements of witnesses will be recorded during the next court hearing.
The scam relates to registration of several acres of land at Bhadora village. Congress has alleged Agrawal, MLA from Bilaspur district, was involved in these land dealings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?