Chhattisgarh Naxal attack: Bastar SP suspended, IG shifted
Raipur: Heads rolled in the Chhattisgarh police administration on Tuesday with the government suspending Bastar Superintendent of Police Mayank Shrivasta and shunting out Bastar range Inspector General of Police Himanshu Gupta, in the wake of the Maoist attack on Congress leaders.
"Bastar SP Mayank Shrivastava has been suspended while IG, Bastar range, Himanshu Gupta was shifted to Police headquarters" Secretary, Public Relations, Aman Singh told a news agency.
Shrivastava has been attached to DGP office till further order and Gupta will now serve as IG, Crime Investigation Department (CID), Singh added.
Ajay Yadav will be new SP of Bastar district and Arun Deo Gautam IG, Bastar range, Singh added.
Chhattisgarh government has already ordered a judicial probe into the incident.
The state government has come under criticism for security lapses that had led to the incident, something acknowledged by Chief Minister Raman Singh.
Heavily-armed Maoists had on Saturday last ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders at Darbha, killing 27 people including PCC chief Patel, his son Dinesh, senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudaliyar and injuring 37 others, including former Union minister V C Shukla.
The NIA has also begun probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing