Chhattisgarh Naxal encounter: Police jawan, one Maoist killed in gun-battle
Raipur: A police jawan and a Naxal were killed in a gun-battle between security forces and ultras in the Maoist-hit Bijapur district of southern Chhattisgarh, police said on Wednesday.
"The face-off took place near Mariwada police camp under Gangalur police station limits of the southern district last night," Deputy Inspector General of State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) Deepanshu Kabra told PTI today.
"Assistant constable Hemanta Masa was killed on the spot in the exchange of fire," Kabra said, adding that the ultras escaped with his Insas (Indian Small Arms System)rifle, 80 round live cartridges and a rifle magazine.
According to the DIG, the police personnel were deployed in Bijapur town during Chief Minister Raman Singh`s public gathering on Tuesday.
After the programme, they were returning to their fold in Gangalur on Tuesday night and made a halt at Mariwada village for having dinner.
"When Hemanta was going to bring food from the village, suddenly around 15 armed Naxals opened fire and shot him dead," he said.
Hearing the gunfire, other security personnel rushed to the spot and launched a retaliatory attack, following which Naxals escaped into the jungle, he said adding that a Naxal was also killed in ensuing gunfight.
"Body of the Naxal and one country-made pistol were recovered from the spot," Kabra added.
The body of the police jawan was taken out of the jungle and a combing cooperation has been launched to nab the attackers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi