Chhattisgarh Naxal encounter: Police jawan, one Maoist killed in gun-battle
Raipur: A police jawan and a Naxal were killed in a gun-battle between security forces and ultras in the Maoist-hit Bijapur district of southern Chhattisgarh, police said on Wednesday.
"The face-off took place near Mariwada police camp under Gangalur police station limits of the southern district last night," Deputy Inspector General of State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) Deepanshu Kabra told PTI today.
"Assistant constable Hemanta Masa was killed on the spot in the exchange of fire," Kabra said, adding that the ultras escaped with his Insas (Indian Small Arms System)rifle, 80 round live cartridges and a rifle magazine.
According to the DIG, the police personnel were deployed in Bijapur town during Chief Minister Raman Singh`s public gathering on Tuesday.
After the programme, they were returning to their fold in Gangalur on Tuesday night and made a halt at Mariwada village for having dinner.
"When Hemanta was going to bring food from the village, suddenly around 15 armed Naxals opened fire and shot him dead," he said.
Hearing the gunfire, other security personnel rushed to the spot and launched a retaliatory attack, following which Naxals escaped into the jungle, he said adding that a Naxal was also killed in ensuing gunfight.
"Body of the Naxal and one country-made pistol were recovered from the spot," Kabra added.
The body of the police jawan was taken out of the jungle and a combing cooperation has been launched to nab the attackers, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez