Chhattisgarh Naxal encounter: Police jawan, one Maoist killed in gun-battle
Raipur: A police jawan and a Naxal were killed in a gun-battle between security forces and ultras in the Maoist-hit Bijapur district of southern Chhattisgarh, police said on Wednesday.
"The face-off took place near Mariwada police camp under Gangalur police station limits of the southern district last night," Deputy Inspector General of State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) Deepanshu Kabra told PTI today.
"Assistant constable Hemanta Masa was killed on the spot in the exchange of fire," Kabra said, adding that the ultras escaped with his Insas (Indian Small Arms System)rifle, 80 round live cartridges and a rifle magazine.
According to the DIG, the police personnel were deployed in Bijapur town during Chief Minister Raman Singh`s public gathering on Tuesday.
After the programme, they were returning to their fold in Gangalur on Tuesday night and made a halt at Mariwada village for having dinner.
"When Hemanta was going to bring food from the village, suddenly around 15 armed Naxals opened fire and shot him dead," he said.
Hearing the gunfire, other security personnel rushed to the spot and launched a retaliatory attack, following which Naxals escaped into the jungle, he said adding that a Naxal was also killed in ensuing gunfight.
"Body of the Naxal and one country-made pistol were recovered from the spot," Kabra added.
The body of the police jawan was taken out of the jungle and a combing cooperation has been launched to nab the attackers, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!