Chhattisgarh: Naxals attack police station with a rocket launcher
Raipur: Naxals fired a rocket launcher at a police station in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh on Tuesday, which missed the target and failed to explode, police said.
The incident took place at the Golapalli police station in the Naxal-infested Sukma district.
Sukma Superintendent of Police Abhishek Sandilya told PTI that the ultras tried to fire a rocket launcher at the Golapalli police station. However, since it missed the target, there was no damage as well as casualties in the incident.
Shandilya added that police personnel posted at the station heard a loud sound around half a kilometre away and later spotted smoke coming from the site.
According to him, police teams were immediately sent to the site, however, by that time the Naxals had fled from the spot.
The police officer said that this was for the first time that a police station had been attacked with a rocket-launcher like object.
Police suspect that the Naxals were just trying to test fire. Police teams have been sent to trace the miscreants.
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, a woman rebel was killed by security forces in Bijapur district, police said.
Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal said that the woman Naxal was shot dead during a gunfight at Outpalli village under Basaguda station jurisdiction.
According to Agrawal, when a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) battalion reached Outapalli village, the Naxals opened fire. However, the woman Naxal was gunned down, when the security forces retaliated in self-defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter