Chhattisgarh Police confirm having strong evidence against arrested two SIMI militants
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Police has confirmed that it has strong evidence against two arrested suspected activists of banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) outfit.
The two activists were arrested on Friday.
"The militants who have been arrested were under police surveillance for the last two years and even their activities were looked into. There are strong evidences against them and after the arrest, during the interrogation they accepted that important meetings of SIMI were organised by them. One of the militants has also been arrested for being part of an important incident in Baroda," said Inspector General of Police, OP Pal, on Saturday.
"There are a lot of things associated with them and we are also receiving a lot of information. The objectionable material that was found with them has been kept under custody. We are carrying out a thorough investigation. The two suspected activists have been presented before the Supreme Court. We have got the police remand till November 22. All our teams are involved in this probe and we are getting hold of all important information," added Pal.
Students Islamic Movement of India was formed in April 1977 in India`s northern Uttar Pradesh. A banned Islamic student organisation, it works for the `liberation of India` from western materialistic cultural influence and to convert its Muslim society to live according to the Muslim code of conduct. The Government of India blames the organisaton for militant activities.
A ban was imposed on the outfit by the Indian government in 2001, soon after the 9/11 attacks. The organisation was labelled as a militants association by the administrations in India and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks