Chhattisgarh seeks central funds for Maoist-hit districts
Raipur: Chhattisgarh has sought Rs 4,553.17 crore from the Planning Commission for integrated development of seven districts hit by Maoist violence, an official said on Saturday.
The finance and planning department has sent a proposal for development of Bastar region`s five districts -- Kanker, Bastar, Narayanpur, Bijapur and Dantewada -- besides Rajnandgaon district in the state`s west and Surguja district in the north.
"We have mooted the proposal for carrying out a massive development plan over the next three years in the seven worst-hit districts, the proposed amount to be spent on road infrastructure besides improving health, education, electricity, security, nutrition and generating mass employment opportunities," a finance department official said.
He said that the proposal, dispatched on Friday, seeks Rs 1,098.83 crore for Surguja district, Rs 600.01 crore for Rajnandgaon, Rs 871.09 crore for Bastar, Rs 644.03 crore for Kanker, Rs 664.03 crore for Dantewada, Rs 430.96 crore for Bijapur and Rs 243.74 crore for Narayanpur district.
Maoists command the interiors of these seven districts, of the total 18 districts in the state.
Police admit that nearly 2,000 people have been killed in Maoist violence in the state since its creation in November 2000. The casualties include nearly 1,000 civilians and 650 policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8