Chhattisgarh seeks central funds for Maoist-hit districts
Raipur: Chhattisgarh has sought Rs 4,553.17 crore from the Planning Commission for integrated development of seven districts hit by Maoist violence, an official said on Saturday.
The finance and planning department has sent a proposal for development of Bastar region`s five districts -- Kanker, Bastar, Narayanpur, Bijapur and Dantewada -- besides Rajnandgaon district in the state`s west and Surguja district in the north.
"We have mooted the proposal for carrying out a massive development plan over the next three years in the seven worst-hit districts, the proposed amount to be spent on road infrastructure besides improving health, education, electricity, security, nutrition and generating mass employment opportunities," a finance department official said.
He said that the proposal, dispatched on Friday, seeks Rs 1,098.83 crore for Surguja district, Rs 600.01 crore for Rajnandgaon, Rs 871.09 crore for Bastar, Rs 644.03 crore for Kanker, Rs 664.03 crore for Dantewada, Rs 430.96 crore for Bijapur and Rs 243.74 crore for Narayanpur district.
Maoists command the interiors of these seven districts, of the total 18 districts in the state.
Police admit that nearly 2,000 people have been killed in Maoist violence in the state since its creation in November 2000. The casualties include nearly 1,000 civilians and 650 policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends