Chhattisgarh: Speaker warns state Cong chief over remarks
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Assembly Speaker Gaurishankar Agrawal today cautioned the state Congress chief Bhupesh Baghel over his remarks.
The Speaker`s ruling in this connection ended the uproar for the past two days of ongoing monsoon session which has so far witnessed suspension of the Congress legislators for four times.
Soon after the question hour, BJP MLA Shivratan Sharma raised the issue of Baghel`s statement of Monday, seeking his apology.
Agriculture minister Brijmohan Agrawal and higher education minister Prem Prakash Pandey said it is the constitutional right of the Opposition to bring a no-confidence motion against the speaker but they cannot make derogatory remarks against the chair and sought apology from the Congress leader.
Leader of opposition T S Singhdeo said that treasury bench was trying to avoid a discussion on irregularities in issuance of ration cards by raising this issue.
Agarwal said that Baghel had, on Monday, made a statement while seeking discussion on a notice that "if you (the Speaker) do not give a clear ruling then we don`t have confidence in you.
Saying that a remark against the Speaker insults the entire House, Agarwal said that Baghel`s remark was a contempt of the chair as well as the the house, and if he did not tender an apology, his remark would stay on the record.
There is no harsher punishment for a public representative than this (his objectionable remarks remaining on the record, for the posterity), he said.
However, Baghel did not tender apology, and uproar followed the speaker`s statement. Singhdeo accused the state government of threatening the opposition members for giving notice of resolution of no-confidence motion against the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt