CMO suspended for demanding bribe to issue ration cards
Raipur: A top civic officer from Janjgir- Champa district of Chhattisgarh has been suspended for allegedly demanding bribe for issuing ration cards.
"Chief Municipal Officer, Jaijaipur Nagar Panchayat, Jaiprakash Naidu has been suspended with immediate effect on the directions of Chief Minister Raman Singh," Janjgir Champa Collector RPS Tyagi said today.
According to an official statement, some women from the panchayat had complained to the Chief Minister during his vikas yatra visit to the region yesterday, about Naidu demanding Rs 300 for issuing ration cards to them.
Taking a serious note of it, the Chief Minister directed the urban administration department to immediately suspend the officer.
In his address to the people, Singh said that Chhattisgarh is the first state to introduce Food Security Act which aims to ensure universal coverage of the state population enabling around 42 lakh families to access quality subsidised food grains.
For the purpose, ration card preparation process is underway, he was quoted in the statement.
"Complaint pertaining to bribe demand in this public welfare scheme is a matter of serious concern. Such kind of activity by officials and employees will not be tolerated," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway