CMO suspended for demanding bribe to issue ration cards
Raipur: A top civic officer from Janjgir- Champa district of Chhattisgarh has been suspended for allegedly demanding bribe for issuing ration cards.
"Chief Municipal Officer, Jaijaipur Nagar Panchayat, Jaiprakash Naidu has been suspended with immediate effect on the directions of Chief Minister Raman Singh," Janjgir Champa Collector RPS Tyagi said today.
According to an official statement, some women from the panchayat had complained to the Chief Minister during his vikas yatra visit to the region yesterday, about Naidu demanding Rs 300 for issuing ration cards to them.
Taking a serious note of it, the Chief Minister directed the urban administration department to immediately suspend the officer.
In his address to the people, Singh said that Chhattisgarh is the first state to introduce Food Security Act which aims to ensure universal coverage of the state population enabling around 42 lakh families to access quality subsidised food grains.
For the purpose, ration card preparation process is underway, he was quoted in the statement.
"Complaint pertaining to bribe demand in this public welfare scheme is a matter of serious concern. Such kind of activity by officials and employees will not be tolerated," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!