Collector abduction: Mediators agree on some points
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Monday said that there was some progress in the talks with Maoists for the release of abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon, with both sides agreeing on some points.
The hostage crisis involving the 32-year-old IAS officer entered the tenth day today.
The Chief Minister told reporters here that the fourth round of talks between the government-appointed mediators and those on the Maoists` side was underway, and he was hoping for an early resolution, with both sides finding "agreement" on certain points.
The interlocutors from the Maoists side had met the ultras two days ago, and they conveyed the Maoists` stand to the government, Singh said.
Government mediators Nirmala Buch and SK Mishra briefed the sub-committee of Chhattisgarh Cabinet which is dealing with the crisis on the Maoists` demands, he said.
Soon a solution would emerge and the sub-committee would take the "final decision", he added.
Menon was abducted by the Maoists on April 21. The ultras have demanded release of 17 of their jailed leaders, among other things, for his release.
Maoists-side mediators, B D Sharma and Professor G Hargopal, met the ultras day before yesterday in the Tadmetla forests, and briefed them about the talks. The collector was said to be in a "good health".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr