Collector abduction: Mediators agree on some points
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Monday said that there was some progress in the talks with Maoists for the release of abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon, with both sides agreeing on some points.
The hostage crisis involving the 32-year-old IAS officer entered the tenth day today.
The Chief Minister told reporters here that the fourth round of talks between the government-appointed mediators and those on the Maoists` side was underway, and he was hoping for an early resolution, with both sides finding "agreement" on certain points.
The interlocutors from the Maoists side had met the ultras two days ago, and they conveyed the Maoists` stand to the government, Singh said.
Government mediators Nirmala Buch and SK Mishra briefed the sub-committee of Chhattisgarh Cabinet which is dealing with the crisis on the Maoists` demands, he said.
Soon a solution would emerge and the sub-committee would take the "final decision", he added.
Menon was abducted by the Maoists on April 21. The ultras have demanded release of 17 of their jailed leaders, among other things, for his release.
Maoists-side mediators, B D Sharma and Professor G Hargopal, met the ultras day before yesterday in the Tadmetla forests, and briefed them about the talks. The collector was said to be in a "good health".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read