Combing operation intensified post Naxal attack
Raipur: A day after six CISF jawans and a civilian driver were killed in the Naxal attack in Dantewada district police on Monday intensified combing operation in the region.
Additional Director General of Police (anti-Naxal operation) Ramnivas said that in the wake of the ambush by the Naxals on the CISF troopers near Kirandul, additional police force has been dispatched to the forest to flush out the ultras.
Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) Director General Rajeev and other senior officials have left for the spot of the ambush after discussing the future strategy with senior police officials from the state.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has condemned the incident and appealed to the jawans of police and other paramilitary forces to remain alert in the wake of the strike.
A CISF patrol team comprising six jawans, including a head constable and five constables, apart from the civilian driver of their Bolero vehicle, was ambushed by Naxals with heavy gunfire at around 0930 PM last night when they were guarding the National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) facility near Kirandul.
According to Ramnivas, an unknown number of jawans are reported to have been injured in the ambush.
The Kirandul-Bacheli mines of the NMDC in the jungles of Dantewada are a Naxal hotbed and frequent clashes between the Naxals and the security forces are regular in the area.
Official sources had said that five AK-47 rifles, one INSAS gun and a large quantity of ammunition belonging to the CISF were looted by the Naxals after they killed the jawans.
The attack is seen as a major setback to the dialogue process between the state government and the rebels against the backdrop of abduction and subsequent release of Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!