Congress alleges nexus between BJP, Naxals in Chhattisgarh, seeks CBI probe
Raipur: Alleging a nexus between some BJP leaders and Naxals in Chhattisgarh, the main opposition party Congress on Monday demanded a CBI probe into "urban network" run by rebels, which was unravelled recently.
Congress members raised this issue through an adjournment notice in Chhattisgarh Assembly, which was accepted.
Beginning the discussion after lunch hour, senior Congress MLA Satyanarayan Sharma said, "The urban channel of the naxals has been operating from capital Raipur for long time and intelligence wing of police department has failed to crack it."
Citing names of suspected naxal conduits, including two prominent businessmen of Kanker region arrested recently, Sharma alleged a former BJP MP and a former minister were associated with these conduits and state government is trying to shield them.
Sharma was joined by Amit Jogi, Brihaspati Singh, Manoj Mandavi, Kawashi Lakhma and Mohan Markam who came down heavily on the state government over its "failure" to check the naxal movement in the state.
"The naxal-helps are seen moving with representatives of people, which is a serious concern to administration. Names of those who are responsible to check this menace are surfacing for helping them", the Leader of Opposition TS Singhdeo said.
Singhdeo also attacked the "failure" of intelligence which he said resulted into incidents like Jiram Valley attack in which Maoist insurgents killed several Congress leaders including the then state unit president last year.
He alleged that politics had been deep-rooted into police administration too and raised demand for a CBI probe, saying there is a naxal nexus with the BJP leaders in Chhattisgarh.
State Home Minister Ramsewak Paikra refused to make any declaration in support of the demands made by Congress legislators but claimed that effective policing has in fact resulted into major setback for naxal movement in the state.
"On the contrary, strong intelligence network has checked increase of naxal activities in the region", the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state