Congress asks Chhattisgarh CM to deliver on poll promise on MSP for paddy
Raipur: Newly-appointed Chhattisgarh Congress president Bhupesh Baghel on Monday asked Chief Minister Raman Singh to deliver on BJP`s poll promise of offering minimum support price (MSP) of Rs 2100 per quintal for paddy of farmers.
In his letter, Baghel also asked the chief minister to provide a bonus of Rs 300 per quintal for paddy from current crop season, which was promised by the ruling party in its election manifesto.
"The chief minister has not exactly pointed out when his government will hike the minimum support price for paddy but instead has written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting steps in this direction," Baghel, MLA from Patan constituency, told reporters here at a press conference.
He said the chief minister was "trying to get rid of his party`s promise" and has merely rendered a formality by writing a communique in this connection.
"They (BJP) had promised increasing the support price for paddy..They must now fulfil the promise by themselves. Now, I have written a letter to Raman Singh to remind his promises what he had made during elections...Let`s see what he will do," Baghel said.
He demanded that state government start implementing the promised MSP and the bonus from this year itself.
The Congress chief alleged that irregularities have crept into the procurement of paddy. "The procurement is not being undertaken for past 2-3 days in several centres," he said.
Baghel pointed out that farmers are facing hardships as their old registration with cooperatives stands canceled and they have to acquire new registration for the purpose of procurement.
"However, the chief minister has so far said nothing over the worries of farmers after taking charge of his office..We would raise the farmers` issues in upcoming state Assembly session," Baghel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!