Congress demands probe in cement plant mishap
Raipur: The main Opposition Congress in Chhattisgarh Wednesday staged a walkout from the state Assembly demanding a judicial probe in the Ambuja Cement plant accident in which five workers were killed.
The Congress members also sought action against the owner of the Ambuja cement plant.
Five workers were killed in an accident at the mixing unit of Ambuja Cement plant on January 31 but so far government has not taken any action against the owner of the factory, Leader of Opposition Ravindra Choubey said while raising the issue in the Assembly.
Lack of proper safety measures in the plant led to the mishap, he said, adding that industrial accidents have become frequent in the state.
Choubey further said management of industrial houses and factories in the state were continuously overlooking the standard safety measures to ensure a secure working atmosphere for the workers.
Joined by senior legislator of ruling BJP Devjibhai Patel, Choubey raised question over the free and fair investigation in the case.
In reply, Labour Minister Chandrashekhar Sahu said five workers were killed when a heavy structure of hopper collapsed at the Ambuja cement plant.
The state government announced Rs 10 lakh to the family of each victim while an appointment letter for a permanent job was given to the kin of four of the five workers.
Sahu also said a six-member panel, headed by additional collector Balodabazar district, has been constituted to conduct magisterial probe into the case.
The main Opposition members demanded a judicial probe in the accident claiming that the committee headed by additional collector would fail to do a fair investigation.
When Balco chimney accident that claimed 40 lives could be probed by judiciary commission, why Ambuja should not, they asked.
The Congress members later staged a walkout from the House stating that the government failed to give a satisfactory reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah