Congress demands probe in cement plant mishap
Raipur: The main Opposition Congress in Chhattisgarh Wednesday staged a walkout from the state Assembly demanding a judicial probe in the Ambuja Cement plant accident in which five workers were killed.
The Congress members also sought action against the owner of the Ambuja cement plant.
Five workers were killed in an accident at the mixing unit of Ambuja Cement plant on January 31 but so far government has not taken any action against the owner of the factory, Leader of Opposition Ravindra Choubey said while raising the issue in the Assembly.
Lack of proper safety measures in the plant led to the mishap, he said, adding that industrial accidents have become frequent in the state.
Choubey further said management of industrial houses and factories in the state were continuously overlooking the standard safety measures to ensure a secure working atmosphere for the workers.
Joined by senior legislator of ruling BJP Devjibhai Patel, Choubey raised question over the free and fair investigation in the case.
In reply, Labour Minister Chandrashekhar Sahu said five workers were killed when a heavy structure of hopper collapsed at the Ambuja cement plant.
The state government announced Rs 10 lakh to the family of each victim while an appointment letter for a permanent job was given to the kin of four of the five workers.
Sahu also said a six-member panel, headed by additional collector Balodabazar district, has been constituted to conduct magisterial probe into the case.
The main Opposition members demanded a judicial probe in the accident claiming that the committee headed by additional collector would fail to do a fair investigation.
When Balco chimney accident that claimed 40 lives could be probed by judiciary commission, why Ambuja should not, they asked.
The Congress members later staged a walkout from the House stating that the government failed to give a satisfactory reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video