Congress is ‘anti-tribal’, says Sangma
Raipur: Dubbing Congress as "anti-tribal", BJP-backed Presidential nominee P A Sangma on Thursday said he is still inspired by the ideology of the party which "now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi".
Talking to reporters here, he said, "Congress suspended its tribal leader Arvind Netam without prior notice when he was seen with me during the filing of nomination paper for the Presidential election. This step by the Congress exposes the party`s anti-tribal face."
Sangma, a prominent tribal leader from the northeast and a former NCP leader, arrived here to meet BJP MPs and MLAs ahead of the July 19 Presidential vote.
Asked about his relation with NCP and Congress, the former Lok Sabha Speaker said he was still inspired by Congress ideology, but the party now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi.
Sangma said he was still hoping for a miracle in the next week`s polls for the top Constitutional post and expressed confidence that MPs and MLAs (who form electoral college) will vote by "conscience".
Sangma is pitted against UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof