Congress is ‘anti-tribal’, says Sangma
Raipur: Dubbing Congress as "anti-tribal", BJP-backed Presidential nominee P A Sangma on Thursday said he is still inspired by the ideology of the party which "now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi".
Talking to reporters here, he said, "Congress suspended its tribal leader Arvind Netam without prior notice when he was seen with me during the filing of nomination paper for the Presidential election. This step by the Congress exposes the party`s anti-tribal face."
Sangma, a prominent tribal leader from the northeast and a former NCP leader, arrived here to meet BJP MPs and MLAs ahead of the July 19 Presidential vote.
Asked about his relation with NCP and Congress, the former Lok Sabha Speaker said he was still inspired by Congress ideology, but the party now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi.
Sangma said he was still hoping for a miracle in the next week`s polls for the top Constitutional post and expressed confidence that MPs and MLAs (who form electoral college) will vote by "conscience".
Sangma is pitted against UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!