Congress is ‘anti-tribal’, says Sangma
Raipur: Dubbing Congress as "anti-tribal", BJP-backed Presidential nominee P A Sangma on Thursday said he is still inspired by the ideology of the party which "now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi".
Talking to reporters here, he said, "Congress suspended its tribal leader Arvind Netam without prior notice when he was seen with me during the filing of nomination paper for the Presidential election. This step by the Congress exposes the party`s anti-tribal face."
Sangma, a prominent tribal leader from the northeast and a former NCP leader, arrived here to meet BJP MPs and MLAs ahead of the July 19 Presidential vote.
Asked about his relation with NCP and Congress, the former Lok Sabha Speaker said he was still inspired by Congress ideology, but the party now does not have leaders like Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi.
Sangma said he was still hoping for a miracle in the next week`s polls for the top Constitutional post and expressed confidence that MPs and MLAs (who form electoral college) will vote by "conscience".
Sangma is pitted against UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees not to get arrears this financial year?
- Reasons why parents must educate their child about sex
- Sensex adds to gains, up 149 points on positive global leads
- SC refers LGBT celebs' plea challenging Section 377 to CJI
- Why do we shout in anger? Watch video to know the real reason