Congress MPs accuse AP CM of breach of privilege
Hyderabad: Eight Congress MPs from Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh on Saturday requested Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to issue a notice to state Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy for "breach of privilege".
In a letter to the Speaker, the MPs alleged that Chief Minister not only refused to meet them but also got them arrested when they went to his camp residence here on September 30, hours before the Telangana march.
"As elected representatives we sought to meet the Chief Minister when it came to our notice that people coming to Hyderabad for the march were being wrongfully detained. The Chief Minister refused to meet us.
"Moreover, we were arrested outside the Chief Minister`s camp residence," the letter said.
Saying that Chief Minister`s refusal to meet the elected public representatives constituted a breach of privilege, the MPs requested the Lok Sabha Speaker to issue a notice to him.
Seven MPs from Telangana had been taken into preventive custody on September 30 when they tried to stage a dharna outside the CM`s camp residence, protesting the alleged detention of people coming to the state capital to take part in the Telangana march.
They had tried to stage a dharna again after they were set free following the detention the first time.
The MPs were then taken to far-off Shamshabad police station, where they were kept till evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed