Congress MPs accuse AP CM of breach of privilege
Hyderabad: Eight Congress MPs from Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh on Saturday requested Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to issue a notice to state Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy for "breach of privilege".
In a letter to the Speaker, the MPs alleged that Chief Minister not only refused to meet them but also got them arrested when they went to his camp residence here on September 30, hours before the Telangana march.
"As elected representatives we sought to meet the Chief Minister when it came to our notice that people coming to Hyderabad for the march were being wrongfully detained. The Chief Minister refused to meet us.
"Moreover, we were arrested outside the Chief Minister`s camp residence," the letter said.
Saying that Chief Minister`s refusal to meet the elected public representatives constituted a breach of privilege, the MPs requested the Lok Sabha Speaker to issue a notice to him.
Seven MPs from Telangana had been taken into preventive custody on September 30 when they tried to stage a dharna outside the CM`s camp residence, protesting the alleged detention of people coming to the state capital to take part in the Telangana march.
They had tried to stage a dharna again after they were set free following the detention the first time.
The MPs were then taken to far-off Shamshabad police station, where they were kept till evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday