Congress, regional party lodge complaint against Ramdev
Raipur: Opposition Congress and Chhattisgarh Swabhiman Manch, a regional party, lodged a complaint with the Election Commission on Monday demanding action against Yoga Guru Ramdev for his alleged violation of the Model Code of Conduct in the poll-bound state.
Ramdev has been visiting several parts of Chhattisgarh as a part of his voter awareness campaign aimed at sensitising people to exercise their franchise.
"We have received complaints based on three points by the Chhattisgarh Swabhiman Manch against Ramdev," Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Kujur told reporters this evening.
In its complaint, the party alleged that Ramdev was considered a state guest and provided government facilities even after implementation of the Model Code of Conduct.
Besides, he has also been campaigning for the ruling BJP in the state, Kujur said.
However, he said that all such special government facilities to Ramdev were removed from his protocol after the model code of conduct came into force on October 4, in the wake of declaration of election schedule for five states, including Chhattisgarh.
"After implementation of the model code of conduct, Ramdev is not being treated as a state guest. He has been provided lodging facilities at a government guest house from a security point of view. Any person who has `Z` or above `Z` class security cover, is given this facility," Kujur said.
"His speech is being recorded and monitored. We will see video recordings of his public address to check whether he is campaigning for any political party or not and take further action," he said.
Meanwhile, the Congress also complained to the Election Commission against Ramdev in this connection.
"Ramdev has been campaigning for the BJP in the state in
the name of creating awareness among voters. He makes derogatory and unconstitutional remarks against the Prime Minister and national leaders, which is a clear cut violation of the model code of conduct," Congress spokesperson Mahendra Chhabra alleged.
Ramdev has been provided government facilities to run his campaign, which is sheer misuse of public money for campaigning in favour of the ruling BJP, he alleged.
The Congress has requested Election Commission to take cognisance of the issue and lodge a case against Ramdev and the BJP in this connection, Chhabra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened