Court dismisses plea to quash Raigarh mayor`s election
Raigarh: A local court has turned down a plea seeking to quash the 2009 election of Raigarh Municipal Corporation (RMC) Mayor Mahendra Chauhatha.
Raigarh District and Sessions Judge Anil Kumar Shukla yesterday rejected the petition filed by an independent candidate in the RMC election, Sevan Ram Chauhan, citing it as baseless and uncoordinated, public prosecutor Panchanan Gupta said.
On December 23, 2009, BJP candidate Chauhatha was elected Mayor of RMC.
In January 2010, Chauhan had filed a petition against Chauhatha, he said.
Chauhan in his petition alleged that Chauhatha had furnished wrong information regarding his caste and assets in his affidavit.
The petitioner had sought to scrap the election of RMC under relevant sections of Chhattisgarh Municipal Corporation Act 1956, Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet