Court dismisses plea to quash Raigarh mayor`s election
Raigarh: A local court has turned down a plea seeking to quash the 2009 election of Raigarh Municipal Corporation (RMC) Mayor Mahendra Chauhatha.
Raigarh District and Sessions Judge Anil Kumar Shukla yesterday rejected the petition filed by an independent candidate in the RMC election, Sevan Ram Chauhan, citing it as baseless and uncoordinated, public prosecutor Panchanan Gupta said.
On December 23, 2009, BJP candidate Chauhatha was elected Mayor of RMC.
In January 2010, Chauhan had filed a petition against Chauhatha, he said.
Chauhan in his petition alleged that Chauhatha had furnished wrong information regarding his caste and assets in his affidavit.
The petitioner had sought to scrap the election of RMC under relevant sections of Chhattisgarh Municipal Corporation Act 1956, Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony