Court issues warrant against Amit Jogi in murder case
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has issued a warrant against Amit Jogi, son of Congress leader and state`s first chief minister Ajit Jogi, in connection with the murder of a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader.
A two-member division bench of the High Court in Bilaspur issued the bailable warrant on Thursday against 33-year-old Amit, currently practising as a lawyer in the same court, in response to a review petition filed by Satish, son of murdered NCP politician Ramavatar Jaggi.
An elated Satish Friday said: "I will do my best to ensure that Amit does not walk away this time without being punished by the court. The lower court acquittal was very disappointing. I will strive for justice."
Jaggi, then NCP Chhattisgarh state unit treasurer, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in the heart of state capital Raipur on June 4, 2003 when Ajit Jogi was the chief minister.
The victim`s family and NCP leaders named Jogi and his son as prime suspects in an FIR lodged hours after the killing.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which ousted the Congress in December 2003 assembly polls, handed over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The investigating agency arrested Amit twice and booked 29 persons in the case, making Amit the prime accused.
But a district and sessions court here acquitted Amit of murder charges in May 2007 while it convicted 28 others, of which 19, including two long-time associates of Amit, were given life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH