Court issues warrant against Amit Jogi in murder case
Raipur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has issued a warrant against Amit Jogi, son of Congress leader and state`s first chief minister Ajit Jogi, in connection with the murder of a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader.
A two-member division bench of the High Court in Bilaspur issued the bailable warrant on Thursday against 33-year-old Amit, currently practising as a lawyer in the same court, in response to a review petition filed by Satish, son of murdered NCP politician Ramavatar Jaggi.
An elated Satish Friday said: "I will do my best to ensure that Amit does not walk away this time without being punished by the court. The lower court acquittal was very disappointing. I will strive for justice."
Jaggi, then NCP Chhattisgarh state unit treasurer, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in the heart of state capital Raipur on June 4, 2003 when Ajit Jogi was the chief minister.
The victim`s family and NCP leaders named Jogi and his son as prime suspects in an FIR lodged hours after the killing.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which ousted the Congress in December 2003 assembly polls, handed over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The investigating agency arrested Amit twice and booked 29 persons in the case, making Amit the prime accused.
But a district and sessions court here acquitted Amit of murder charges in May 2007 while it convicted 28 others, of which 19, including two long-time associates of Amit, were given life imprisonment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!