Crisis in Chhattisgarh`s mini steel plants
Raipur: Dozens of mini steel plants in mineral-rich Chhattisgarh Monday suspended production amid a raw material shortage and high power tariffs. The plant owners have sought the state`s government`s help to prevent closure.
"Up to 40 of the state`s total 175 mini steel plants have suspended production," Chhattisgarh Mini Steel Plants Association president Ashok Surana said.
"We have asked the government to urgently step in the matter otherwise all the mini steel plant units will get closed," he said.
The mini plants employ over 5,000 people and have a combined monthly output of 350,000 tonnes. These plants use sponge iron, heavy melting scrap and pig iron as raw materials for producing ingots and billets.
An official source says a delegation of the plant owners met Chief Minister Raman Singh Sunday and briefed him about the "grim situation".
He said Singh assured them that he would take up the raw material crisis issue with the steel ministry and will also talk to public sector National Mineral Development Corporation.
Regarding the power tariff, Singh said, "He would take a final call soon about industrialists` demand for slashing power tariff after examining all aspects", the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!