Crisis in Chhattisgarh`s mini steel plants
Raipur: Dozens of mini steel plants in mineral-rich Chhattisgarh Monday suspended production amid a raw material shortage and high power tariffs. The plant owners have sought the state`s government`s help to prevent closure.
"Up to 40 of the state`s total 175 mini steel plants have suspended production," Chhattisgarh Mini Steel Plants Association president Ashok Surana said.
"We have asked the government to urgently step in the matter otherwise all the mini steel plant units will get closed," he said.
The mini plants employ over 5,000 people and have a combined monthly output of 350,000 tonnes. These plants use sponge iron, heavy melting scrap and pig iron as raw materials for producing ingots and billets.
An official source says a delegation of the plant owners met Chief Minister Raman Singh Sunday and briefed him about the "grim situation".
He said Singh assured them that he would take up the raw material crisis issue with the steel ministry and will also talk to public sector National Mineral Development Corporation.
Regarding the power tariff, Singh said, "He would take a final call soon about industrialists` demand for slashing power tariff after examining all aspects", the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked