Dantewada massacre: Chhattisgarh reluctant to act against IPS officers
Raipur: The Union Home Ministry has apparently asked the Chhattisgarh government to take action against two senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officers for their "command failure" in connection with the Maoist slaughter of 76 securitymen in Dantewada, but the state government is reportedly unhappy about it.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government has been tight-lipped over the issue and is even refusing to admit it has received any letter from the Home Ministry seeking action against Bastar Inspector General (IG) TJ Longkumer and Dantewada Superintendent of Police (SP) Amresh Mishra, according to a highly placed source in the government.
"The state government is highly reluctant to take action against the IPS duo and will keep the letter in cold storage as any action against the two will further lower the morale of police force in the red zone who are already under relentless attacks by the guerrillas. Mishra is a famed personality in the police department for spearheading the anti-Maoist drive in Dantewada," the source told a news agency, speaking only on condition he was not identified.
The source added that the two IPS officers had "nothing much to do" with the decisions that led the 82-member Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) team of the 62nd battalion to walk into a booby trap in a thickly forested area in the insurgency-hit Dantewada district on April 6 that resulted in the massacre of 76 men.
The Home Ministry move comes after the ministry Friday shunted out CRPF DIG in Dantewada Nalin Prabhat, commandant of the 62nd battalion VK Bisht, and inspector Sanjeev Bagree, based on the report of a one-man inquiry committee of EN Rammohan, that submitted its report to the central government late last month.
Officials say that Rammohan, former Border Security Force (BSF) director general, pinpointed "command failure": in his report that led to the killing of 62nd battalion CRPF men in the biggest ever attack by the guerrillas at Chintalnar, some 480 km south of capital Raipur.
Official sources have confirmed, on condition of strict anonymity, that the state government has received the letter from the union home ministry recommending action against Longkumer, a 1991 batch IPS officer, and Mishra, a 2005 batch IPS officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow