Doctor held for raping nurse promising marriage
Raigarh: A 31-year-old doctor of a private hospital was arrested for allegedly raping a dalit nurse on the pretext of marrying her in Chhattisgarh`s Raigarh district.
"Medical officer of OP Jindal hospital, Dr Sudhanshu Gupta, was nabbed based on the compliant of the 26-year-old dalit nurse here last evening," Raigarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Rahul Bhagat said.
Gupta was produced in a local court today where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days, the SP said.
According to the victim, working as nursing supervisor at the hospital, Gupta raped her on several occasions in the past one year, while promising to marry her.
When he refused to marry her stating that she belonged to a lower caste, the woman lodged a complaint against him with Kotra Road police station, the SP said.
After a medical examination of the victim, a case was registered under sections 376 (rape) of IPC and 3(1)12 of SC/ST Act against Gupta, following which he was arrested.
Chief Judicial Magistrate G K Neelam today rejected the bail plea of Gupta and sent him in judicial custody for 14 days, Bhagat said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility