Doctor held for raping nurse promising marriage
Raigarh: A 31-year-old doctor of a private hospital was arrested for allegedly raping a dalit nurse on the pretext of marrying her in Chhattisgarh`s Raigarh district.
"Medical officer of OP Jindal hospital, Dr Sudhanshu Gupta, was nabbed based on the compliant of the 26-year-old dalit nurse here last evening," Raigarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Rahul Bhagat said.
Gupta was produced in a local court today where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days, the SP said.
According to the victim, working as nursing supervisor at the hospital, Gupta raped her on several occasions in the past one year, while promising to marry her.
When he refused to marry her stating that she belonged to a lower caste, the woman lodged a complaint against him with Kotra Road police station, the SP said.
After a medical examination of the victim, a case was registered under sections 376 (rape) of IPC and 3(1)12 of SC/ST Act against Gupta, following which he was arrested.
Chief Judicial Magistrate G K Neelam today rejected the bail plea of Gupta and sent him in judicial custody for 14 days, Bhagat said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS