Doctor held for raping nurse promising marriage
Raigarh: A 31-year-old doctor of a private hospital was arrested for allegedly raping a dalit nurse on the pretext of marrying her in Chhattisgarh`s Raigarh district.
"Medical officer of OP Jindal hospital, Dr Sudhanshu Gupta, was nabbed based on the compliant of the 26-year-old dalit nurse here last evening," Raigarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Rahul Bhagat said.
Gupta was produced in a local court today where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days, the SP said.
According to the victim, working as nursing supervisor at the hospital, Gupta raped her on several occasions in the past one year, while promising to marry her.
When he refused to marry her stating that she belonged to a lower caste, the woman lodged a complaint against him with Kotra Road police station, the SP said.
After a medical examination of the victim, a case was registered under sections 376 (rape) of IPC and 3(1)12 of SC/ST Act against Gupta, following which he was arrested.
Chief Judicial Magistrate G K Neelam today rejected the bail plea of Gupta and sent him in judicial custody for 14 days, Bhagat said adding that further probe was on.
- 'Good monsoon, consumer spending to see India GDP grow at 7.4% in FY17'
- Akshay Kumar escapes scorching Mumbai heat with his ‘partner in crime’ – Here’s how
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse