Doctor held for raping nurse promising marriage
Raigarh: A 31-year-old doctor of a private hospital was arrested for allegedly raping a dalit nurse on the pretext of marrying her in Chhattisgarh`s Raigarh district.
"Medical officer of OP Jindal hospital, Dr Sudhanshu Gupta, was nabbed based on the compliant of the 26-year-old dalit nurse here last evening," Raigarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Rahul Bhagat said.
Gupta was produced in a local court today where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days, the SP said.
According to the victim, working as nursing supervisor at the hospital, Gupta raped her on several occasions in the past one year, while promising to marry her.
When he refused to marry her stating that she belonged to a lower caste, the woman lodged a complaint against him with Kotra Road police station, the SP said.
After a medical examination of the victim, a case was registered under sections 376 (rape) of IPC and 3(1)12 of SC/ST Act against Gupta, following which he was arrested.
Chief Judicial Magistrate G K Neelam today rejected the bail plea of Gupta and sent him in judicial custody for 14 days, Bhagat said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees