Doctor held for raping nurse promising marriage
Raigarh: A 31-year-old doctor of a private hospital was arrested for allegedly raping a dalit nurse on the pretext of marrying her in Chhattisgarh`s Raigarh district.
"Medical officer of OP Jindal hospital, Dr Sudhanshu Gupta, was nabbed based on the compliant of the 26-year-old dalit nurse here last evening," Raigarh Superintendent of Police (SP) Rahul Bhagat said.
Gupta was produced in a local court today where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days, the SP said.
According to the victim, working as nursing supervisor at the hospital, Gupta raped her on several occasions in the past one year, while promising to marry her.
When he refused to marry her stating that she belonged to a lower caste, the woman lodged a complaint against him with Kotra Road police station, the SP said.
After a medical examination of the victim, a case was registered under sections 376 (rape) of IPC and 3(1)12 of SC/ST Act against Gupta, following which he was arrested.
Chief Judicial Magistrate G K Neelam today rejected the bail plea of Gupta and sent him in judicial custody for 14 days, Bhagat said adding that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor