Drunk RPF inspector rams car into two, videojournalist killed
Raipur: A cameraman of a TV news channel was killed and another person was injured here after being hit by a car rashly driven by a Railway Protection Force officer who was in an inebriated state, police said on Friday.
Sanjay Das (32), cameraperson with a private news channel, died and Pramod Kumar (25) injured when the car hit them on Telibandha Road last night, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Lal Umed Singh said.
The driver of the car, identified as Rajesh Verma (42), an Inspector with Railway Protection Force (RPF), has been apprehended and booked under IPC Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), he said.
Verma lost control over the car and rammed it into a number of vehicles before coming to halt in front of Telibandha police station. Commuters and bystanders ran helter-skelter to save themselves.
A medical examination revealed that the RPF Inspector was driving under the influence of alcohol, he said.
According to eyewitnesses, the car first hit Kumar, who was on a cycle, following which he was thrown away at some distance, leaving him injured, ASP said.
After that, it rammed into at least five vehicles standing on roadside and finally hit Das, who was returning home from office on a bike, he said.
Both were taken to a hospital where Das was declared brought dead, while the condition of Kumar was reported to be stable, he said, adding further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US