Drunk RPF inspector rams car into two, videojournalist killed
Raipur: A cameraman of a TV news channel was killed and another person was injured here after being hit by a car rashly driven by a Railway Protection Force officer who was in an inebriated state, police said on Friday.
Sanjay Das (32), cameraperson with a private news channel, died and Pramod Kumar (25) injured when the car hit them on Telibandha Road last night, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Lal Umed Singh said.
The driver of the car, identified as Rajesh Verma (42), an Inspector with Railway Protection Force (RPF), has been apprehended and booked under IPC Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), he said.
Verma lost control over the car and rammed it into a number of vehicles before coming to halt in front of Telibandha police station. Commuters and bystanders ran helter-skelter to save themselves.
A medical examination revealed that the RPF Inspector was driving under the influence of alcohol, he said.
According to eyewitnesses, the car first hit Kumar, who was on a cycle, following which he was thrown away at some distance, leaving him injured, ASP said.
After that, it rammed into at least five vehicles standing on roadside and finally hit Das, who was returning home from office on a bike, he said.
Both were taken to a hospital where Das was declared brought dead, while the condition of Kumar was reported to be stable, he said, adding further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH